ENTERTAINMENT/OPINION

CHRIS BROWN’S EXCUSE-MAKING DADDY

We’ve all heard that Chris Brown’s stepfather used to beat up on Chris’ mom. But he isn’t the only father figure who deserves criticism in connection with Chris Brown’s current situation. As a dad myself, I am outraged by the rationalizing comments made by Chris’ real pops.

When “People Magazine” asked Chris Brown’s biological father about his son’s alleged beating of girlfriend Rihanna, Clinton Brown said, “He’s very remorseful. He’s very concerned about the situation and he wants to make sure that [Rihanna's] okay.” That’s good to hear. But then, Brown went into PR mode, making excuses and downplaying the horrible deed of which his son is accused. Chris’ daddy stated: “This is unfortunate, this stumble, this situation. Hopefully, he will get past it. We all have our shortcomings. We all trip.”

That comment is disturbing to say the least. The tolerant attitude expressed by Chris Brown’s father is one of the reasons that domestic violence is rampant in our society. (A 2005 study by Teenage Research Unlimited found that 13% of teenage girls had been hit or physically hurt or hit by their boyfriend.)

The “situation” involving Chris and Rihanna is not merely “unfortunate.” It’s horrendous and criminal. Chris did not merely “stumble.” He is accused of a brutal act of violence against a woman: punching her in the face with his fists (like she was a man) until blood flowed and bruises formed. Brushing off such savagery by claiming that “we all have shortcomings” and “we all trip” minimizes the crime and dismisses the victim’s pain. Worse yet, it reinforces the awful and widely-believed lie that beating up on women is normative behavior for men in relationships and, therefore, isn’t really that big of a deal.

Besides, Daddy’s Brown’s observation isn’t even true. Sure, we all get angry in relationships (Chris Rock joked that if you’ve never contemplated murder then you’ve never been in love) but we don’t all act on that anger with violence. A lot of men exercise discipline, self-control and good sense. It isn’t always easy, but they do it. We do not all “trip” the way Chris Brown apparently did.

It seems that like Clinton Brown is trying to build sympathy for his son by putting Chris’ emotions on an equal footing with those of the woman he allegedly traumatized. But Chris Brown is not an injured party here, so whether or not “gets past” anything isn’t very important right now. Chris’ emotional state in the aftermath of this inexcusable event should not be the priority. He obviously has issues but nothing he may be dealing with today – or was dealing with before the violent altercation — can begin to approach the physical and emotional pain that Rihanna is struggling with. Her recovery is should be our primary concern.

An honorable man takes full responsibility for his terrible behavior. He pays the price for what he has done and repairs the damage that he caused. That’s what fathers should teach their kids. If Chris Brown’s dad wants to help his son he should slide the “Woe Is Me” card back into the deck and urge his son to man up by accepting the consequences of his actions.

Thanks for listening. I’m Cameron Turner and that’s my two cents.

THINK! IT AIN’T ILLEGAL…YET!

Cameron Turner is a Los Angeles-area native whose editorials, entertainment news features and audio documentaries have appeared on national radio networks, online and in print for over 20 years.

Comments

February 18th, 2009 at 12:30 am PRECIOUS says:

He can ’stumble’ and ‘trip’ into the edge of my knife if he or any man tries to set a FINGA on moi. That’s the truth!

February 18th, 2009 at 4:35 am Cameron Turner says:

I feel your anger, Precious. Especially since I’m the dad of TWO daughters. A man who beats up a woman is a sorry excuse for a man. Period. I’m sick of these self-pitying, arrogant, fake-ass men with their misogynist attitudes and bullshit rationalizations.

February 18th, 2009 at 7:46 am thelma says:

No one is ever who they seem to be.
This boy is gonna have this situation dog him as long as he is in the spotlight.

February 18th, 2009 at 8:10 am Phillip Giddings says:

I totally agree! His whole statement was a cop out and he needs to man up and own up. If he is old enough to think he can beat up a woman, he is old enough to take all the heat, stand in the fire and own up to it like a real man. There is no excuse under the sun for this - my momma taught me that when I was old enough to talk!

February 18th, 2009 at 10:13 am Ingrid says:

He had such a so-called clean image and his fake colgate smile it is all exposed and I’m sick of it

February 18th, 2009 at 10:16 am Travis Utley says:

look at our society and our music. we glorify ‘keeping ho’s in check’ and stuff like that. he’s not thinking he is going to actually have to pay the price. i’m sure he’s hit her before just not to this extent. Its time for him to pay the piper

February 18th, 2009 at 10:49 am culturepop says:

My daughter was in an abusive relationship once…it was the most heartbreaking thing I ever experienced. But until she was ready, she wouldn’t leave. I pray that Rihanna doesn’t need anymore hints and that she can move on from this without too much emotional scars

February 18th, 2009 at 11:08 am Ashley says:

Amen. He should be ashamed of himself and his actions. There is no excuse.

February 18th, 2009 at 12:13 pm Lottie Markus says:

I don’t like the relatives speaking out at all. They just sound like they are making excuses for their kids. I heard one of them say ‘if his fans are loyal they won’t go away over a little black eye.” I was toooo thru after that.

February 18th, 2009 at 12:17 pm Uni Tee says:

You said it perfectly Mr. Turner. His stardom doesn’t excuse or buy him out of this one.

February 18th, 2009 at 3:07 pm Krista Wills says:

The sad thing is he will probably rebound from this and be more popular after he sings a few gospel songs. What a joke!

February 18th, 2009 at 5:42 pm Kali Love says:

Love this blog entry…and sending blessings to Rihanna.

February 18th, 2009 at 11:22 pm renep says:

his statement was pisspoor. i don’t know how his career will rebound from this without some real remorse and reconciliation. dumbass.

February 19th, 2009 at 12:56 am PRECIOUS says:

Thanks Cameron. I’m glad u didnt scold me for being rowdy, but that really pissed me off.
What do you think about this NY POST thing? I’m enraged!!!!

February 19th, 2009 at 10:14 am buttabrown says:

I HAVEN’T BEEN SURPRISED SINCE THIS WHOLE THING HAPPENED UNTIL THAT STATEMENT I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE TRULY REMORSEFUL NOT GIVE US THE OLE ‘CONSULTING WITH MY PASTOR’ LINE. SUPER WACK AND NO RESPECT

February 19th, 2009 at 10:41 am Jane Kennedy says:

have to also remember they are just kids they are gonna make many more mistakes

February 19th, 2009 at 5:08 pm Nu Yawk says:

She is a sex symbol his career is a wrap