ENTERTAINMENT/MUSIC

BLOG DEBUT!
FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC

What’s up UTC! I’m thrilled to be here to share my thoughts, selects and emotions about one of my life’s true passions: MUSIC!

When did you first fall in love with music?

For me, I still remember the day I got my first boom box. It was pink. I couldn’t wait to get it out the box so I could commence to “letting my tape rock ’til my tape popped.”

Salt and Pepa talking about “Push it real good!”

Big Daddy Kane the “Smooth Operator” used to get “Raw” through my speakers.

And of course I had the requisite LL Cool J poster from “Word Up” magazine on my wall. I would stare at it and pretend I was the only “Around the Way” girl he needed. I tell you, he wouldn’t be talking about needing love if only he would find me.

I wanted to go and talk to Devante Swing. Write a “4 Page Letter” with Aaliyah. I felt Dru Hill’s pain as if I had found someone sleeping “In My Bed.”

I didn’t think it could get any better.

That is, until I first heard D’Angelo crooning something about that “Brown Sugar.” I sure did get high up off his love and didn’t know how to behave!

It was as if Mary J. Blige was my girl helping me through the pain of unrequited love because she knew all about “going down” if he wasn’t around.

Who remembers wondering just what Erykah Badu had under that head wrap as you grooved to “On and On?”

I vividly recall the day an old high school friend told me to run, not walk and pick up this hot new album that would bless me the moment I pressed play. Skeptical, I asked, “Who is Jill Scott?”

Music has and always will be a part of me. A year ago, I created my own blog, Songs in the Key of Life, because I needed a space to share my deep passion for music and how it has impacted my life. I never would have imagined the journey ahead of me as I pressed “publish” on the first post.

Now I am considered a tastemaker in the music industry. My You Tube channel has over 500 videos of concerts I’ve attended and reviewed over the past year. I’m invited to private artist events where my opinions on the music are heard and respected.

My long standing love affair with artists on the B-Side has grown with each new discovery of underrated talent that you won’t likely hear on the radio every hour on the hour. Their music soothes, stimulates, lifts, focuses, inspires, drives and several other emotions that I hope to share in this space as I shine the spotlight on these artists and introduce you to some new music to add to your collections.

So, share some of you favorite B-Side artists in the comments. They just may show up in a future post!

Danielle “Vivrant Thang” Hatchett is a freelance writer and blogger living life like it’s golden in the DC Metro area. She is the creator of Songs in the Key of Life, a music blog (with the occasional personal element) that spotlights underrated soul artists who “don’t be gettin no airplay.” She also maintains a companion You Tube channel where you can view footage of all of her concert adventures. Vivrant Thang has a regular spot here on Urban Thought Collective, and can be contacted at vivrantthang8@gmail.com.

Comments

January 5th, 2009 at 9:28 pm buttabrown says:

Welcome girl!
I love music too drop that knowledge

P.s - bid daddy kane was one sexy sumthin! LOL

January 5th, 2009 at 10:08 pm Uni Tee says:

this is great I like your whole vibe

January 5th, 2009 at 10:13 pm culturepop says:

i send you a welcome greeting and say keep doing your thing that you love I appreciate learning about all kinds of things

January 5th, 2009 at 10:26 pm Nubian CoCo says:

you were not a hip black teen without word up and right on magazine posters!! ah that brings it back for real!

January 5th, 2009 at 11:38 pm Lindsay Marshall says:

D’angelo was a turning point for me too
changed the old r&b game, revved up the soul and the rest is history. dang i miss him!

January 6th, 2009 at 10:09 am Rashida Fuller says:

that’s what I’m talking about!

January 6th, 2009 at 12:41 pm 2know2love says:

cool concept! I miss that good ole stuff its nice to reminise and also find new music too welcome to this website I enjoy reading everyone thoughts

January 6th, 2009 at 7:12 pm Lottie Markus says:

welcome my sister!

January 6th, 2009 at 7:13 pm heatmizer says:

very interesting you have a fun way of writing and i’m looking real forward to your music ideas

January 6th, 2009 at 11:26 pm Julia Hill says:

your name is so clever too

January 7th, 2009 at 3:05 pm Stephanie says:

Welcome! I am going to enjoy this blog entry. I first fell in love with music when I was 5 moved in with my grandparents and they had an huge stereo that looked like a piece of furniture and tucked inside were all these old records from the Funkadelics, Issac Hayes etc. I feel in love with the art work and then the music!! I’ve been stuck in love every since.

January 7th, 2009 at 3:06 pm Stephanie says:

Welcome! I am going to enjoy this blog entry. I first fell in love with music when I was 5 moved in with my grandparents and they had an huge stereo that looked like a piece of furniture and tucked inside were all these old records from the Funkadelics, Issac Hayes etc. I feel in love with the art work and then the music!! I’ve been stuck in love ever since.

January 7th, 2009 at 3:16 pm Tina says:

All my favorite artists! Welcome to UTC! I am looking forward to reading more of your work.

January 9th, 2009 at 1:24 pm Baby Queen says:

Hey Vivrant Thang!

I just want to give you props and congrads on breaking a new erra in the blogging wold. In which I might add is becoming more and more popular by the minute. I am too a native Washingtonian (I think I spelled that right). I currently reside in D.C. and I must say it’s a real blessing to see, a sista from my home town doin her thing WELL!! Continue to feed our minds and spirit with those awesome blogging dishes you serve up!!! Oh just a suggestion………..do you think you can incorporate some Go-Go on here as well? That is also one of the most underrated brands of music. That I feel should be in heavy rotation.

Be well!!
BQ

January 11th, 2009 at 9:09 pm Vivrant Thang says:

Aww you got a black woman over here blushing red :) Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Glad you like what you see thus far. I’ll see you soon with my first entry.

January 14th, 2009 at 10:21 am imsofamous says:

Congrats!!!

You’re so special. Looking forward to visiting over here as well. Best Wishes, not only in this venture, but in everything you set out to do.