OPINION/POLITICS

THE DISAPPEARING BLACK VOTE

Last summer while I was shopping at my local grocery store, I saw the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my life. I approached her and we had a great conversation walking through the grocery store shopping together. At the checkout line we exchanged numbers, I couldn’t wait to call her later that night after I put my groceries away, cleaned my house, and ate my fish dinner.

After I was done with my adult duties I reached in my pocket for her number. Nothing. I ransacked everything room in the apartment I just cleaned. Nothing. I went back to my car and cleaned it out. Nothing. It hit me; I just lost the number of the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my life. I went through all the steps of starting a relationship and didn’t get to start a relationship.

This is what’s happening to thousands of people all across the America. In Mora, New Mexico, a dirt poor town filled with Hispanics, half of the Democrats had their registrations to vote simply disappear in thin air, under the eye of a Republican contractor. In Florida, they are refusing to accept 85,000 new registrations, and the majority of them are black voters. In Nevada and Ohio, they are denying thousands of people who lost their homes to foreclosure of their right to vote.

Similar events are happening all over America. It’s like the current gang of neo-con Republicans are dead set in making John McSame and Sarah Palin the head of this country. They know that it’s the Black vote that is going to be the turning point in this election. 2008 will come down to urban America. The hoods and projects of this great country who are going to come out and vote for the first time for the guy being rapped about, worn on shirts and talked about in all the magazines.

I’m happy about this. Obama will need all the votes he can get, and just as white people will vote for McCain because they can’t see themselves voting for a Black man, millions of inner city blacks will vote for Obama simply because he’s Black.

Despite the fact that I have no problem with people voting for my candidate because of his skin color, I also feel like it’s up to people like us to educate our brothers and sisters and let them know where Obama stands on the issues. Explain to them the true importance of this year’s election and that this time, all of our futures literally may depend on it.

Until the next plate of chicken and waffles is served…

BlogXilla.com is one of the biggest relationship and entertainment sites on the internet, and has been mentioned and featured in numerous publications including LA Times, TMZ, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, MTV, VH1 and many more. The site focuses on relationships and entertainment news. Xilla’s take on politics and society will be featured weekly on Urban Thought Collective.

Comments

September 7th, 2008 at 11:26 pm Sasha Fuller says:

Great segue into a great blog topic. We need to care about this. Registration is vital to his success!

September 8th, 2008 at 12:08 am renep says:

Whhhaaaat? I hadn’t heard about this. This is criminal.

September 8th, 2008 at 12:12 am kamalp says:

They got tricks up they sleeve like a mug

September 8th, 2008 at 12:33 am Regina Holloway says:

Has the Obama campaign responded to this situation in Florida do you know Xilla? Outrageous.

September 8th, 2008 at 6:33 am lilmamma86 says:

This is crazy boo…we can not have this happen to this years election…i aint tryna have McCain as my prez OKAY lol!!!!

September 8th, 2008 at 6:46 am Xillionaire says:

If you want to hear the audio here it is

Here it’s an MP3

September 8th, 2008 at 6:47 am Xillionaire says:

I feel you lil mama!! We can not afford another 4 years of the Neo-Cons

September 8th, 2008 at 6:50 am Xilla says:

I forgot to log in!! lol Hey Regina Obama’s statement was he is concerned about the integrity of the vote in the southwest. Thats all he said about this.

September 8th, 2008 at 8:34 am Jackie Beckman says:

I would never consider voting for McCain because I happen to be white, and it’s insulting that you lump white voters together that way. I think Obama is a genius and a breath of fresh air and his views coincide with my own on every single issue. I could care less what color he is; if anything the fact that he’s a black man running for President of this country makes him even *more* appealing to me simply because it means Americans are finally, finally waking up to the fact that the color of a person’s skin is irrelevant. Please don’t insult me by saying I would vote for McCain because he is a white man. I would never vote for him because his views oppose everything I believe in and his horrible judgement in selecting Palin tells me more than I ever need to know about him. Obama. Yes We Can!

September 8th, 2008 at 8:55 am Xilla says:

Jackie, I apologize, I did not write this with you in mind. But rather for the rural white folks in places like West Virgina who will not vote this year or will vote for McCain because they can’t bring it upon them self to vote for a black man. I apologize I forgot to add the word Some before white people. Please blame it on the mind and not the heart.

I could have sworn I added that the white vote tends to break 50/50 give or take a 1 or 2 % look at the last 2 elections so with the majority of the black vote going towards Obama and with knowing that some of those black people are going to vote for Obama simply because he’s black… I’m not made at that. thats my point. Not to insult you be saying that you’re going to vote for McCain because you are white if you took it that way I apologize. My bad.

September 8th, 2008 at 9:00 am Jackie Beckman says:

No problem. I guess I’m also mad that there are indeed white people stupid enough to vote for a candidate based on skin color or women stupid enough to endorse Palin because she’s a woman. Obama stands for everything hopeful about the future of ALL our children, no matter what color skin they have. And I’m sorry you lost that woman’s phone number.

September 8th, 2008 at 9:04 am MR TIBBS says:

Let’s hope this time we really do get out there and show our force at the voting booth. Lord knows how many times we’ve missed out. It is embarrassing that as a group we always have the lowest turn out, when it is we who paid the highest price for the right to vote. To not exercise it is almost criminal, and definitely not moral

September 8th, 2008 at 9:20 am Krista Wills says:

Perfect points and like that # - it is a missed opportunity if we don’t get on the ball! Obama is not perfect no one is but something new is better than something that isn’t working that’s the whole point of our options this is the best choice period

September 8th, 2008 at 9:53 am Xilla says:

I’m sorry about it too, I had big plans for that one! lol ~ @JACKIE

Mr Tibbs - in 04 when diddy had that big vote or die campaign it worked record turn outs for blacks came out but… same thing happened as what they are trying to do. In Ohio, there were 153,237 ballots simply thrown away, more than the Bush “victory” margin. In New Mexico the uncounted vote was fives times the Bush alleged victory margin of 5,988. In Iowa, Bush’s triumph of 13,498 was overwhelmed by 36,811 votes rejected. In all, over three million votes were cast but never counted in the 2004 presidential election. The official number is bad enough-1,855,827 ballots cast not counted, reported to the federal government’s Election’s Assistance Commission. But the feds are missing data from several cities and entire states too embarrassed to report the votes they failed to count. Correcting for the under-reporting of the undercount, the number of ballots cast but never counted goes to 3,600,380. And there are certainly more we couldn’t locate to tote up.

Why doesn’t your government tell you this? Hey, they do. It’s right there in black-and-white on a U.S. Census Bureau announcement released seven months after the election-in a footnote to the report on voter turn-out. The Census tabulation of voters voting “differs,” from ballots tallied by the Clerk of the House of Representatives for the 2004 presidential race by 3.4 million votes.

September 8th, 2008 at 11:04 am Stephanie says:

You are right when you say our futures depend on this election. I hope everyone realizes this votes for the right person. Obama has my vote!

September 8th, 2008 at 11:13 am Mr.Fantastic says:

I think Barack needs to hold a press conference and address this situation!

September 8th, 2008 at 11:48 am pmatters says:

I get nervous even thinking that McCain has a chance. We can not give up this opportunity to him we just can’t. We gotta get out and vote.

September 8th, 2008 at 12:08 pm Tina says:

Do we have any suggestions on what we can do to try and get the people who registered out to vote?

September 8th, 2008 at 12:43 pm heatmizer says:

This will be the SHAME OF THE CENTURY AND OUR LIFETIMES IF ALL OF US CAN’T GET THIS MAN ELECTED

September 8th, 2008 at 1:05 pm BRUH MAN says:

TIME TO STEP UP

September 8th, 2008 at 1:13 pm nicq says:

This is crazy and something needs to be done about it!

September 8th, 2008 at 1:21 pm Sooth sayer says:

We have got to get more informed honestly ignorance is no excuse anymore!

September 8th, 2008 at 5:59 pm TOP DOG says:

i feel all of yall just deep down I don’t think they are going to let this man in

September 8th, 2008 at 8:35 pm yes says:

that’s a damn shame

September 8th, 2008 at 10:38 pm SaraSmiles says:

I like your blog here - and there (blogxilla.com :)

September 9th, 2008 at 9:20 am Phillip Giddings says:

Not voting is not an option it should be taught in school and a damn law that we HAVE to vote damnit

September 9th, 2008 at 11:32 am Life Coach Buzz says:

So much for “voting for the person, not the color of their skin”…brilliant.

September 9th, 2008 at 3:31 pm Jenafa Duvall says:

sorry but white folks don’t get to play all super sensitive