OPINION/POLITICS/TELEVISION

PALIN’S PROPAGANDA
& PUNCH LINES

I watched Sarah Palin address the Republican National Convention. “The most peculiar Vice Presidential pick there’s ever been,” according to Republican Ben Stein. I heard a great deal about her life, her family and one liners directed at Barack Obama and Joe Biden. She was bold, aggressive, arrogant, condescending, confident and clearly divisive. In less than one week this became one of the most anticipated television events, and I saw nothing to dissuade my belief, that this is one of the biggest frauds ever perpetrated on America.

I’m voting for Barack Obama.

However, this isn’t about my guy. This is really about America and John McCain. Has he just gone plum loco? Trailing in the polls and now, clearly desperate, he wants to have a Vice President he met once, who just got a passport last year, who in July said she didn’t know “exactly what the Vice President does all day”, who has no national security or foreign affairs experience, and governs over one our most remote states with a population of Austin, Texas a heartbeat away from sitting across the table with Vladimir Putin to negotiate the proliferation of Nuclear Arms and Bio terrorism. This would be funny if it wasn’t REAL!

When I say this is propaganda I mean it in the truest sense of the word. The Republican Party is presenting her as a hockey mom, a wife and mother, with conservative family values. All designed to make all of us forget we have cognitive powers and the capacity for critical thinking. To ignore the facts that if Sarah Palin put an exploratory committee to run for President of the United States she’d have never made it to the stage with any of the bonafied Republican contenders.

President Bush is now providing all the candidates with National Security briefings. Only one person had no national security clearance at all. Sarah Palin.

The McCain camp says they vetted Sarah Palin thoroughly. They knew that she was under legislative investigation and her teenage daughter was pregnant…and still picked her.

You all know I believe the children of famous people are off limits. So I have nothing to say about the Bristol Palin.

But it’s the conservative right that gets on their self righteous high horse, slamming the African American community for the number of pregnant teenage girls. They love to condescend and lecture how it’s a function of absentee fathers and lack of family values. Well here you have a white, small town, privileged two parent house hold, which preached abstinence and shunned sex education and birth control with a pregnant teenage daughter.

Where’s all the fire and brimstone? Where’s all the condemnation? Where’s the “shame” that they say is lacking in our community?

Not only have they gone silent, they let their hypocrisy go deeper. They asked for privacy, and then they put Bristol Palin out on the campaign. She’s five months pregnant, yet magically the week after Sarah Palin is picked for Vice President, Bristol’s teenage boyfriend is now her “fiancé.” They even brought HIM out on the campaign!

Remember when Ross Perot was running for President? He seemed like a can’t miss “breath of fresh air.” Then he picked Admiral James Stockdale as his running mate. He was an accomplished man and distinguished veteran and winner of The Medal of Honor. However he was completely out of politics and advanced in age. When he famously remarked in the Vice Presidential debates that he didn’t hear a question, because his hearing aid wasn’t turned on, Ross Perot was done as a serious candidate.

John McCain could have picked anyone. He could have been true to his word and stuck to the “experience” argument. But when you’re sixty days away from Election Day and trailing, all bets are off. Well after tonight, so is the veil of “Straight talk” and honesty.

Damn shame.

Darryl Bell is an actor and Chicago native, best known for his role in classic TV series “A Different World” and Spike Lee’s “School Daze.” His unique television commentary is exclusive to Urban Thought Collective.

Comments

September 3rd, 2008 at 10:34 pm thelma says:

That speech was right out of 1952! I had to keep wiping my eyes in disbelief

September 3rd, 2008 at 10:48 pm SweetSis says:

I admit it was well delivered but the facts were all wrong. They broke it down on Huffington. Read this

September 3rd, 2008 at 10:58 pm Rodge says:

I had forgot about Ross Perot this could be even worse because they are perpetrating for real

September 3rd, 2008 at 11:02 pm Travis Utley says:

I was embarrassed for them
being the party of lies and BS

September 3rd, 2008 at 11:09 pm Beverly Chastang says:

I heard they now have only 2% minorities in their party now what does that tell you?

September 3rd, 2008 at 11:21 pm Krista Wills says:

The sad part is that the followers are so blinded by what they think is righteousness that they will stand by them no matter the cost. Honesty be damned. It really is a living history lesson in inept governing and decision making. And we will pay the cost.

September 3rd, 2008 at 11:35 pm kamalp says:

Damn u make me wish I watched. Then again Im sure ur words were better. Thanks 4 the cheat sheet.

September 4th, 2008 at 1:32 am Chatty Cathy says:

Yes they are total hypoocrites and clearly so disconnected from the mainstream of America. They think mainstream is cowboy hats, country music and shooting moose? What the hell is wrong with these people? Their display just made undecided people who aren’t total poor white trash rednecks decide to vote for “The Opponent.” And least he seems NORMAL.

September 4th, 2008 at 5:26 am nicq says:

I Agree with you my dog!

September 4th, 2008 at 6:10 am BLACK MARKET says:

The thing is, the president is a myth. They love his country roots and down to earth ways. Gimmie a break! The man was born with a silver spoon, got a ranch in texas only to LOOK like that, he was raised as a rich boy but makes it seem like he understands the people. These fools got jokes

September 4th, 2008 at 6:40 am Ashley says:

I feel like you were reading my mind when you wrote this. Not one time did I hear that she spoke about any of the issues. This is such a joke and so scary because if they win we are in real trouble. We thought the Bush administration was bad.

September 4th, 2008 at 7:23 am Norma Stanley says:

You may or may not care, but I totally agree with him. Watching Palin last night makes me remember why I’m not too fond of Republicans. They don’t know how to fight fair-I heard more lies attributed to Obama, than the law should allow. Was she a b—-or what?! What amazes me is that Black people (the 10 (if that) who were in the audience and the others out there, agree with this stuff! To bash Obama so viciously when he purposely chose not to do so to them, was mean, showing their true spirit…which is far from Godly. In fact, their whole approach is vastly hypocritical, which is becoming more apparent as this goes on. If they don’t sound like the Pharisees and Saducees, I don’t know who does. It further pissed me off that she will now parade her son with Downs Syndrome to get the vote of the disability community…as the mother of a child with special needs and advocate for the disability community and parents of special needs children, it would be interesting to see how much money in her state goes to disability organizations. Sorry, this is my first reaction to her speech last night…I will now take a moment, calm down and pray to God for forgiveness for them, for they know not what they do

September 4th, 2008 at 7:25 am Mr.Fantastic says:

Took the words right outta my mouth Bruh

September 4th, 2008 at 9:41 am Tina says:

If I hear that stupid what is the difference btwn a bull dog and housewife line again I am going to scream! They act like that is the first time she has every said it. The GOP is nothing but a propaganda machine. Hello Sarah Palin it is time for a change and it is not you!

September 4th, 2008 at 10:11 am heatmizer says:

McCain just wants to win. He is willing to abandon the things he has fought for for decades - turn his back on anything that will stop him from winning. Mr. No Compromise has turned into a puppett and a sap and its just sad sad sad!

September 4th, 2008 at 10:54 am Philip Giddings says:

Good observations Darryl
Also the facts of what she said aren’t even true. But people just listen and don’t look deeper that is the problem. Anyone can give a good speech

September 4th, 2008 at 11:00 am BRUH MAN says:

The self righteousness is sickening!
These people must be the most unhappy on earth doing everything but being themselves

September 4th, 2008 at 11:27 am lolalove says:

depressing

September 4th, 2008 at 12:03 pm Nicole Malave says:

How about Cindy McCain saying that she governs a state that is “closest to Russia.” Who gives a hot dog??

September 4th, 2008 at 1:00 pm lilmamma86 says:

Feelin it..but McCain knew that girl was a lil heffa in the first place OKAY!!!!!!! LOL

September 4th, 2008 at 1:14 pm Sooth sayer says:

if they were real christians they would not be so judging and first to cast stones its just a show so ridiculous that they can pat themselves on the back while their cowboy president has the blood of millions on his hands. its sick

September 4th, 2008 at 1:42 pm TOP DOG says:

didn’t hear them focus on the actual issues just a bunch of bullying once again
they have like no platform except war and their war pow

September 4th, 2008 at 2:06 pm Gerald Johnson says:

country first? puleeezzeee!
more out out for self.

September 4th, 2008 at 3:40 pm Jenafa Duvall says:

if i hear the phrase ‘knocked it out of the park’ one more time…

September 4th, 2008 at 3:59 pm Ellene Miles says:

Really though, Darryl!

September 4th, 2008 at 4:32 pm culturepop says:

I have to give it to them. Even though their message is the wrong one they still stick to it and are united. As silly as it is they still stay true to whatever the talking point of the day is. They just don’t stop

September 4th, 2008 at 5:26 pm 2know2love says:

Barack and crew can’t play the cool collected cats much longer. These people is ready fo war! Take the gloves off. They think he’s uppity anyway!
Jerks

September 4th, 2008 at 7:15 pm Nel Allen says:

terrible how they are pimpin that lil girl

September 4th, 2008 at 7:27 pm Stephanie says:

When is this GOP crap going to be over. I can’t even turn and watch any of it.

September 5th, 2008 at 8:04 am Lena says:

Those people are the epitome of “hypocrisy” and nothing more. They are so fake they have to “will” themselves to believe their own drivel. This business with the pregnant daughter and parading loverboy around is beyond belief. Imagine if a black candidate had a pregnant daughter and preaches family values and high moral leanings. Most of them are all about “image”…think John Edwards. SMH

September 5th, 2008 at 1:43 pm Angie says:

The American people really need to research this woman. She could be a potential dangerous person with viewpoints which pale in comparison to their thoughts of Jeremiah Wright. The pastor of the church she grew up in basically is the Christian equivalent of Muslim extremists. He believes Jesus was always in a war frame of mind. That’s not the Jesus I know. What about you?