OPINION/POLITICS

Clinton’s Final Surrender

So Hillary Clinton finally endorsed Barack Obama on Saturday as the Democratic presidential nominee, urging her supporters to put aside their disappointment over her defeat and get behind Obama in the general election campaign against Republican John McCain.

“The way to continue our fight now, to accomplish the goals for which we stand, is to take our energy, our passion, our strength, and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama the next president of the United States,” Ms. Clinton told a crowd of 8,000 supporters during an emotion-filled rally at the National Building Museum in Washington.

“Today, as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary race he has run. I endorse him and throw my full support behind him. And I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me.”

Clinton’s surrender was long overdue. She had previously stated publicly that the race would be over on Feb 5th after Super Tuesday had concluded. She never had a clue just how prophetic her statement was. The race was over for her. Obama ended the night of Super Tuesday strong nationally by sweeping to victories in several states that Clinton had expected to win. Obama then moved on to 11 victories in a row throughout February, taking a lead in Democratic delegates that Clinton never recovered from.

Clinton and her supporters now seem poised to pressure Obama to select her as the Vice President. If I were Obama, I would say thank you, but hell no! Clinton and her camp threw everything including the kitchen sink at Obama during the campaign. So, although I understand the politics of Democratic Party unity, this ain’t the way.

The Clintons seem to have this sense of entitlement. Now that Obama is the nominee, its time for change. This is now the party of Obama and the thousands of Obamaniacs from all walks of life across the nation who were inspired to come out and take the nomination from Clinton with their vote for change. If Clinton is selected as the Vice President on the ticket, I believe it would be contrary to the change that Obama campaigned on and brings to the table.

The Clinton endorsement and those from her African-American superdelegate supporters such as California Congresswomen Maxine Waters, Diane Watson, and Laura Richardson are welcome ones. Yet, at this stage in the game who really cares about an endorsement from the losing team after the race is over? My hope is that the Clinton supporters will stop whining and show some maturity. They need to get behind Obama. He played by the rules and won fair and square. Obama doesn’t owe the Clintons anything and certainly not a spot on the ticket.

I wish Clinton well. She made a nice concession speech. Let’s hope that she can repair her tainted legacy by her actions in fully supporting Obama on the campaign trail this fall.

Najee Ali is Executive Director of Project Islamic H.O.P.E, a national civil rights organization that advocates for the human rights of oppressed people regardless of race, gender or religion. He was selected by Wave Newspapers and Our Weekly Newspaper as one of the 25 most influential black leaders in Los Angeles. More information is available at: www.islamichope.org.

Comments

June 9th, 2008 at 1:12 am Maya Rainwright says:

I’m don’t think there is anything short of all out rabid tireless stumping (and a whole lotta MLK parades) that will help her with blx now.

June 9th, 2008 at 3:15 am SweetSis says:

Her concession speech was cool, but she shoulda done it a week earlier.

June 9th, 2008 at 6:19 am heatmizer says:

Hillary — be graceful in defeat and strong in your convictions. I still didn’t feel her sincerity. I’m over her and Bill for life.

June 9th, 2008 at 8:21 am Chatty Cathy says:

Ain’t nothing she can do for him that he can’t do for himself. He can win over those Hillaryites with hard work and his strong message. Mark my words.

June 9th, 2008 at 8:47 am thelma says:

I totally agree - he needs to find someone very special to match up with him to make it an unstoppable combo! can’t wait to see who they pick

June 9th, 2008 at 9:03 am young clean bastard says:

guess she not so ‘inevitable’ afterall

June 9th, 2008 at 9:16 am Coretta Scott Queen says:

I wouldn’t be made if we never talking about her again. I am so angry that she has stolen the spotlight of this momentous occassion with her grandstanding. We been talking about this woman for a solid week all over TV, radio, newpaper - I’m done.

June 9th, 2008 at 10:20 am chica22 says:

Okay I’m hyped about the “What I Think” - thanks UTC.
And Najee I agree, Obama cannot take her along - no way no how.

June 9th, 2008 at 11:14 am dontchuknow says:

Listening to the reports over the weekend of the Clinton supporters i wanted to puke. They feel like “it is not over” i mean come on. Like you said, Obama played fair and square and rules are rules. You can’t break them just cuz you don’t like how it turns out. Its time to stop the madness. We are being as divisive as the republicans and we will need all our strength to defeat them !

June 9th, 2008 at 11:15 am Stephanie says:

You are so right. He doesn’t owe her anything. She should have dropped out a long time ago.

June 9th, 2008 at 11:25 am culturepop says:

Bar-ack the vote!

June 9th, 2008 at 11:30 am buttabrown says:

Our people need to treat this like the Mongomery boycott! Get together, get organized - stop playing!

June 9th, 2008 at 11:53 am pmatters says:

It is about time. I was sick of seeing her on tv.

June 9th, 2008 at 12:10 pm missme says:

How did a self-described skinny black kid with big ears out of nowhere defeat the president’s wife and “inevitable” first lady? incredible when you really think about it. no wonder the lady was in shock.

June 9th, 2008 at 1:12 pm Binta Rohan says:

I’m just glad its over so we can move onto the next phase of history. I’m clued to CNN like its All My Children these days.

June 9th, 2008 at 1:30 pm Elsa Harkins says:

She Did the Right Thing. It took her forever and she’s battered and bruised But Shge Did The Right and Only Thing She Could Do. It Must Be Hard To Let Go of A Dream Like That. I’da Probably Been A Bitch on Wheels Too.

June 9th, 2008 at 2:30 pm cristiner says:

Bill is the one I’m mad at. I think he ruined a lot for her.

June 9th, 2008 at 3:03 pm nicq says:

Our Moment is Now!

June 9th, 2008 at 4:17 pm lolalove says:

Humble thyself and you will reap the benefits! Something is in store for Hillary if she just chills out!

June 9th, 2008 at 4:41 pm missmolly says:

The future is bright

June 9th, 2008 at 4:42 pm mrmelody says:

fo real! he won fair and square! now let’s do this

June 9th, 2008 at 8:22 pm Ellene Miles says:

Some very good points here, Najee. I’m really confused by the anger of Clinton supporters. Of course you want your candidate to take the crown, but this is politics. And the party has a great opportunity for some new things to happen. I hope unity is not far away.

June 9th, 2008 at 8:48 pm Najee Ali says:

@Chica actually had she not been so angry and her campaign so divisive she could have been on the ticket. @Ellene the Clinton camp are big crybabys!(:
At this point the hard work for Obama begins those that support him( I do )
go to http://www.Barackobama.com get involved.
peace!