ENTERTAINMENT/MUSIC

The Year Was 1994…

This past weekend I attended my ten year college reunion. TEN YEARS! I had a better time than I expected, and it got me reminiscing about the year it all started. 1994. I was a 17-year old know-it-all, that actually knew less than zero. Almost 14 years later, I can still remember chilling in my boy Sean’s room playing “Street Fighter II” for hours on end. Those truly were the good ole days. Enjoy the vids.

KEITH MURRAY | “THE MOST BEAUTIFULLEST THING IN THE WORLD”
“The most beautifullest vocabulist.” OK, I realize that beautifullest is not a word. But I give Keith a pass, ‘cause the song is tight. And, I don’t want him to get in me. That would suck.

CRAIG MACK | “FLAVA IN YOUR EAR (REMIX)”
“The ski mask way.” Was this the first instance of “The Puffy Dance?” Fourteen years later and I still don’t know what the hell he was doing. And why was Rampage on this joint? Never understood that either. Anyhoo, people tend to forget that Craig Mack was way larger than Biggie when this track came out. That would change in about six months.

WU TANG CLAN | “CAN IT BE ALL SO SIMPLE”
“Nah nah, 87. That was my favorite shit God.” In the past I’ve given Hype Williams a lot of grief, because I think he over directs. But this is my favorite Hype video by far. Every single shot is perfect. Perfect use of slo mo. Perfect color palette. Perfect performances. Plus, the kid on the bike always gets me. If he had infused half this much heart into “Belly,” it wouldn’t have sucked the suck of a thousand Hoovers.

DIGABLE PLANETS | “9TH WONDER (BLACKITOLISM)”
“I’m 68 inches above sea level. 93 million miles above these devils.” Butterfly was ill, yo! I remember we used to chill in my boy Brian’s dorm room spitting, or, at least trying to spit freestyles to this instrumental. It wasn’t pretty. We were nerds, not beautiful vocabulists. Cut us some slack :)

And now…for something slightly incomprehensible but dope…

OHIO PLAYERS | “ECSTASY”
“Loving you is ecstasy to me.” Other than the quote to the left, I have zero idea what the lead singer is singing. Nevertheless, it’s for damn sure funky. I think you might recognize the sample used by a couple of New York Kings.

Diallo Tyson is a filmmaker, comedian and old school music junkie. When he’s not busy, he is a rapper with the group “Two Pimps and a Dream.” Step into a groovin’ time machine every Friday on UTC.

Comments

May 26th, 2008 at 2:03 am pmatters says:

I still listedn to Digable Planets. This one of my favorite blogs!

May 26th, 2008 at 2:13 am Ashley says:

Whatever happened to Craig Mack? Great voice, flow all that.

May 26th, 2008 at 2:20 am SweetSis says:

That Craig Mack was THE JOINT that year. The first track, the remix. You are right. It was all about Craig Mack. Bad skin and all. He had a voice on him boy. Nobody was checkin for Big. Maybe folks in NY but no one else knew. All I rmemebr thinking was all Puffy’s crew was… um… unattractive. That’s putting it nicely. But yeah boy those brothas could all flow.

May 26th, 2008 at 5:06 am chica22 says:

Butterfly did her thing at Black Lily here a few weeks back. The performance was a little sad but it was good to see her still trying to push the music.

May 26th, 2008 at 5:07 am chica22 says:

I always enjoy your selections, BTW.

May 26th, 2008 at 10:00 am young clean bastard says:

Murray was tight. That schoolyard legend who never could crack it. Def Squad pretty much dead now. 2bad cause they had sumthin for a mninute.

May 26th, 2008 at 10:36 am buttabrown says:

Man… hip hop was so sick with in the 90s! Keith and Craig Mack were fugly but dope! But you are so right, Biggie came and wiped everyone off the map! This was fun

May 26th, 2008 at 10:43 am culturepop says:

I was on my 2nd marriage I dont’ remember the music but my daughter would

May 26th, 2008 at 11:18 am CeaseNYC says:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You killin it Man! Digable was EVERYTHING in ‘94. Esp if you were brown and in my hood you automatically had to love Butterfly Mecca. Aight! Had to. I remember we was diggin her in the first clip and thinking she was fine but then this one came out and n*ggaz lost they minds. Being all of 14 - 15 of course. You bringing back good memories everytime.

May 26th, 2008 at 12:05 pm heatmizer says:

Ohi Players!!! Sweet sticky thang! Good ones

May 26th, 2008 at 12:07 pm heatmizer says:

Oh yeah - Jay and Biggie laced it!

May 26th, 2008 at 12:27 pm Diane Brown says:

‘94 was definitely a good year for music - surely the most beautifullest

May 26th, 2008 at 1:39 pm thelma says:

that song is on the tip of my tounge… dope sample!

May 26th, 2008 at 3:17 pm Diallo Tyson says:

‘94 was definitely an ill year for music. I believe Fu-Schnickens and Keith did an impromptu concert on campus for homecoming. Them were the days for sure.

@Cease

Yeah man, Butterfly held it down for sure. I haven’t heard any of her new joints, though.

May 26th, 2008 at 7:33 pm Mizzo says:

I think I told you this D, but Flava In Ya Ear could have ran 24/7 and it still would knock. Def a hype year for hip hop. If I’m not mistaken that’s the same year Distortion of Static and Wrong Side of the Tracks dropped. Those were just some of the ish that made my speakers pop that year.

You’re right brothaman…great year for hip hip.

Jay-Z and Biggie Smalls…

May 27th, 2008 at 12:36 am Destah Owens says:

Love these trips down memory lane, D. So Simple was my joint! The Flava In Ya Ear Remix! What!? “Isshy? Floticious. Skeevy? Delicious!” Sadly, Craig Mack has become my punchline for one-hitter-quitters like this soulja boy clown. “You won’t be around next year…”

May 27th, 2008 at 4:32 am Edwardo Jackson says:

Craig Mack, Mad Skillz, Total…let’s put an APB out for these guys. Make that happen, son (or god or yo or money)!

EJ

May 27th, 2008 at 8:21 am Diallo Tyson says:

A lot of cats forget that “Flava” was kind of a comeback (yeah I know) for LL. After 14 Shots To The Dome, people were like “Hmmm, maybe LL fell off.” After he spit this verse, they were like “Hmmm, maybe LL didn’t fall off. Must peep next album.”

May 27th, 2008 at 11:44 am madeuluk says: