ADVICE/LIFESTYLE/SELF-HELP

Turning The Past
Into Your Personal Power

I could feel the queasiness in my stomach as my anxiety heightened. I was getting ready to present my first seminar, “How to Deal with Difficult People.” I wasn’t sure how I would do this or if I even could. I’d never done it before! I had to keep the audience interested and talk for six hours? I wondered if I had enough material.

The closer I got to the seminar, my anxiety and negative self-talk increased. I realized it was time to meditate in order to clear my mind. As I counted myself down, I found that I had no concept of time. At the end of the countdown, I was transported into an auditorium and seated in a chair. On the stage, there was a young black boy about 11 years old, playing a solo on a flute.

Although I missed the introduction, I understood that the song he played was something the boy had written himself and wanted to perform for the audience. About 50 people were there in support of their children who performed in the band behind the boy.

The boy’s courage amazed me. He appeared to have no fear and was unaware of any limits to his abilities. I begin to smile as the child performed. I could feel the exhilaration in the child as if we were one.

I was suddenly pulled back into the present. I say the present because I realized it was my past I was reliving. After the experience, I recognized I did have the skills to perform in front of people. Actually, about 10 years experience of performing and entertaining people as a band member. My anxiety was decreased drastically. I begin to feel quite confident in myself. I was able to resourcefully allow past experiences to aid me in my present circumstance.

Sometimes we utilize the past to warn us. Other times, the past can limit us when we remember our failures or unpleasant experiences. The truth is, we are going to make mistakes and there will be missed opportunities, but to dwell on those moments only wastes valuable energy. The past can actually be a source of power and strength.

Instead of focusing on things we cannot change, focus on those parts of your past when you’ve triumphed! When you’ve overcame a fear, learned the value of another, or achieved a desired goal. How do you gain strength from this? Recall the resources that you used to transcend that past experience. Employ these past moments as symbols of personal power. Remember the strength you used to move beyond your fears.

There are so many examples we can recall each day. The courage it took to reveal yourself to another in order to form intimate bond. The faith that you are more than who you see in the mirror. The confidence that guided you through the unknown towards a goal.

When recalling these experiences, remember what it took for you to transcend them. Recall the attitude, emotions, thoughts, and skills that got you through. Don’t forget, you survived the experience!

Know that those resources still exist within you. They are there for you to use ANY TIME you choose.

Be grateful for the past. It has transformed you into the being you are today.

Roderick Watkins is a Certified Hypnotherapist and doctoral student in Metaphysics. His mission is to aid you in finding resolutions for conflicted parts of your being using spiritual resources to guide you on the path towards a unified self.

Comments

May 12th, 2008 at 2:10 am Coretta Scott Queen says:

The strength of children is indeed amazing isn’t?

May 12th, 2008 at 2:12 am PRETTY PLUS says:

i think negative a lot. my mind always go to the dark. like automatically sometimes. i think most peopel do that. people like negatives more than positive. i don’t believe its just me. at least i don’t think so. i know its just about shifting my perception. i know that intellectually i just have to do it!

May 12th, 2008 at 2:28 am MissReina says:

Never thought of this. Usually when I think about the past, it’s always what went wrong. I’m going to actually try this.

May 12th, 2008 at 11:38 am UncleD says:

Good looking out.

May 12th, 2008 at 12:12 pm Tina says:

Very positive statements. Thanks for this.

May 12th, 2008 at 1:52 pm Elsa Harkins says:

I believe in this. It works if you work it. I need to work it much more than I do. There is power in the past. It’s not all bad. Thanks for the reminder

May 12th, 2008 at 1:59 pm StacyJohnson says:

Cool stuff…I will remember all of that when fear approaches me. Love ya!!

May 12th, 2008 at 2:01 pm pmatters says:

Words of wisdom

May 12th, 2008 at 2:02 pm Dean says:

After reading this I quickly realized that you cannot be intimidated by your goals. You have to learn to embrace the things that you do not know and the places that you have not been. Every person who has ever succeeded in life had to first walk into the land of the unknown. Thank you Rod!

May 12th, 2008 at 2:04 pm Coi says:

Roderick,
This piece was simply marvelous! I am proud to say that strength and positive thinking is what’s important in one’s life. You hit some very key points that everyone should reflect upon during challenging and tiring moments in life. I am honored to know you and know that you practice what you preach! Keep preaching, brotha!!!

May 12th, 2008 at 2:05 pm thelma says:

this is so helpful for the everyday. hard enough to make it through the days without adding on the extra anxiety that i always feel before approaching work and other aspects of life. i really appreciate these lil bits of self help!

May 12th, 2008 at 2:10 pm culturepop says:

rod has it on point. we need only to look to ourselves as kids to see how fearless and determined we were. if you can’t remember your childhood - look at a kid in your life! my grandbabies keep me young. whne they want to get at something ain’t no stoppin em! we could learn a lot from that.

May 12th, 2008 at 2:18 pm Ellene Miles says:

It is so important to breathe deeply, relax, and allow our gifts to work for us. Easy to forget that in the hustle and bustle. Thanks for the timely reminder, Rod.

May 12th, 2008 at 2:31 pm allison says:

I am so in the habit of putting the past behind completely that sometime I forget to look at the good in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

May 12th, 2008 at 2:58 pm H says:

Nice work Rod. Reminded me of a time when I was 4 and skied a black diamond by myself. I had no clue I wasn’t supposed to be able to do that so I also had no fear.

May 12th, 2008 at 3:07 pm Glenda Watkins says:

It’s great article. Only through examination of our past experience, regardless if successful or not, can we make our present decision. Our present is just culmination of past experience. Also I remember that flutist, 1st concert performing his original composite. glw

May 12th, 2008 at 4:34 pm D says:

Mental imagery helps me all of the time…when I remind myself to do it. Good piece.

May 12th, 2008 at 10:03 pm Stephanie says:

Powerful words to really think about!

May 12th, 2008 at 10:27 pm Ms. Babe says:

Rod
My young gifted brother,you are so on point.
Our past allows us to be stronger in the present. Life is a continual learning process. Thanks for your teaching and reminding us all of that.
~blessings

May 12th, 2008 at 11:21 pm blockcop says:

meditation makes like bareable
everybody should do it. it not just for white people

May 12th, 2008 at 11:23 pm holdyourhead says:

music and meditation..thats what we need

May 12th, 2008 at 11:51 pm Ed80 says:

I think the most important words in this is:

Be grateful for the past.

May 13th, 2008 at 9:27 am beingme says:

if you build it they will come. thisi s what we need to hear. keepthis coming cuz i;m tried of the bs

May 13th, 2008 at 9:56 am beingme says:

that;s speaking truth to power. do dat!

May 13th, 2008 at 12:26 pm Angel says:

Rod, using our pass experience can truly become an opportunity we can use as a teaching tool to over-come our fear, strengthen our maturity level, develop better positive thinking and increase our individual success. What a great way to look back on our pass experience to help apply it to everyday challenges. Much love!

May 13th, 2008 at 4:53 pm Regina Holloway says:

Very enlightening as always…